Thread: Thoughts on what I should do with '87 Olds Cutlass Cierra

Vehicle
    1987 Oldsmobile Cutlas Ciera

Default Thoughts on what I should do with '87 Olds Cutlass Cierra

Hello everyone,

Just looking for some feedback on what I should do with a 1987 Cutlass Cierra that I own. My grandparents bought the car new in early 1987. When my grandmother got to the point in her life where she could no longer drive (my grandfather had already passed away), I bought the car from her (that was in late 2006). For some reason, I thought this would be a neat car to hang onto, as it was an absolutely perfect example of that model year. I've held onto the car this entire time, and with the exception of the summer of 2018, it was stored in a garage the entire time. It was also in a garage while my grandparents had it. I've never driven it in the winter (I live in Ohio, so I never want to get salt on it).

However, during Memorial Day weekend this year, I had the super unfortunate event of driving it through a hail storm. I couldn't believe it when it was happening. It didn't sustain a lot of damage, but it definitely got some dents on the roof, hood and trunk. It really ticked me off, because, as I mentioned, this car was a perfect example of that model year. My main objective in keeping it was to keep it in as good of condition as possible.

Now that this has happened, I'm really questioning whether I should keep it at all. I could get the dents removed, but it would cost money that could be used more wisely. And obviously this isn't a "classic car", or a "show car". I've never had it to a car show, but in the back of my mind I thought that it may one day be worthy of going to car shows...despite not being a classic. In recent years I definitely notice people looking at it when I'm driving it.

It believe it has just over 43,000 miles. (Oddly enough, the day before the hail storm experience I put a new alternator in it).

Any suggestions? Should I just sell it and be done with it? I always envisioned it going to a car museum if I could no longer keep it, but none have been interested (and I inquired before the hail damage occurred).

Thanks for any feedback!

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

I would start by calling a PDR company, and get an estimate on what the repairs would cost. You maybe surprised, and it could be a cheap fix. After you get that info, you will have the info needed to make a sound decision. The hood and trunk are easy enough fixes (assuming you can find them dent free), but the roof, and where the panels roll off to the sides, that gets quite a bit more tedious.

Worse case scenario, it becomes a daily driver. You didnt really give any specifics on the car, like pictures, or other options, so its really hard for us to make a best guess with no info.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

I'd keep it if you really love it. Dents can easily be fixed. Rusted out undercarriage is not so easy, and it sounds like you have a nice clean example of one that's not rusted out. I've got dents on the hood of my Cruiser too. I still get a lot of comments on it.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

I'd say keep it. It's a great car, just has some hail damage. I've been driving a hail-damaged 97 Accord since 2010. If you want to sell it, I'd sell it to someone who would keep it away from the crusher. I regret letting go of my dad's rusted 90 Century Custom Sedan with 229k miles on it. I've now got 2 just like it but it's not THAT car. If you decide to sell, list it here or PM me with details, as I may be interested in it.

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

I understand that some folks can do wonders with hail damage by warming the surface and placing dry ice near the dent(s). Takes the stretch out of the metal in a dent that doesn't have concentrated impact point. No personal experience myself.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1987 Oldsmobile Cutlas Ciera

Thanks for your responses, everyone! I appreciate the feedback.