Thread: 86 Century 3.8 Leaking Oil Pan Gasket

Default 86 Century 3.8 Leaking Oil Pan Gasket

The oil pan gasket on my 3.8 Century is leaking. Does the sub frame have to be lowered to be able to replace the gasket? Is this doable? What equipment would I need and what's the procedure.

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

I will give the caveat that mine is the '92 3300, and there are differences, but the Buick engine is exceptionally easy to service. I dropped the pan as an after thought after I had the timing cover off.

I didn't have to take the front motor mount loose. I didn't remove the starter either (probably would make it easier)

I did have to remove (just the bolts and mounting clips) the power steering cooler (long aluminum pipe that runs along the passenger's side of the side of the subframe and then up front). I just moved it out of the way and never had to disconnect the line.

I've also done the 3100 engine (leaky gasket) and it is supposed to be a 'drop the cradle' job (I didn't). Someone ought to be shot for the unserviceability.

Hope this helps. Turbokinetic (David) is the absolute expert on the earlier Buick engines. He may have some pointers if there should be a painful difference in the earlier variant.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1988 Ciera Sl Coupe FE3 & 1988 Ciera International Coupe 1989 Celebrity 1989 Regal Coupe

I've done this with both of my 1988 3.8s as part of replacing the timing set, and I didn't have to drop the sub or raise the engine. If memory serves me correct, there is a metal "bracket" that the battery /starter cable runs along that is bolted to the top of the front crossmember that needs to be removed, but it's only two short bolts. They may be hidden by years of grease and grim, but they are there.
    Last edited by Sigurd Jarlson; 10-09-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks for the replies. Do I just replace the gasket or should I apply RTV as well?

Vehicle
    1988 Ciera Sl Coupe FE3 & 1988 Ciera International Coupe 1989 Celebrity 1989 Regal Coupe

I asked this same question a few years back. I used Felpro Perma-Dry gasket, with no RTV except as David noted in this thread:

https://www.a-body.net/forums/showth...uestions/page2