Thread: Power Steering Pump Removal

Vehicle
    1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 3300 V6

Default Power Steering Pump Removal

Hello everyone, it's been a long time. I have a bit of a serious problem. The power steering pump on my 91 Cutlass Ciera has gone out. I've been working on it for two days and I've got everything disconnected except for the high-pressure line. I can't get it to budge. I don't know if I'm approaching it the wrong way or what. I have the flare wrench attachment for my socket wrench, but I'm not sure If I should use a regular flare wrench. I'm completely baffled, it simply won't budge. It is the original pump on the car (and these cars are getting quite old now) so I'm certain that's playing a role. Just as old coolant bypass lines that are as hard as metal where they connect to the engine on this car (also replacing those) Anyway I'm at a loss and this #%&^!@ line is being too much. All help is much appreciated.

Vehicle
    1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 3300 V6

Update! Got the line off. Now I have a new problem, I've discovered that the rack and pinon is leaking as well. My question is, is this a job best left to a shop, or is it something that a fellow shade tree mechanic could tackle?

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

The steering rack isn?t that bad but it?s tedious I did mine in the garage on jack stands . And you have to lower the Rear cradle mounts an support it with a jack. Personal opinion I would let the shop do it cause she will need the alignment after anyway .

Vehicle
    1988 Ciera Sl Coupe FE3 & 1988 Ciera International Coupe 1989 Celebrity 1989 Regal Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler5.1 View Post
    Update! Got the line off. Now I have a new problem, I've discovered that the rack and pinon is leaking as well. My question is, is this a job best left to a shop, or is it something that a fellow shade tree mechanic could tackle?
    I did it on my 1988. It's a bit of a PITA, and as Keiths1976 said you have to drop the cradle to give yourself clearance, but it is doable. I did mine on my gravel driveway up on jackstands. IIRC the trickiest bit was getting the pinch bolt from the steering connected properly.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

For me the biggest pain in the butt was getting the bit started on the bolt with tight quarters to get your hands in . The pinch bolt was terrible have to remember to kee p the wheel centered and locked and make sure the new steering is centered . Your working with 3-4 inches in that in the wheel wells . the pinch bolt you have to get through the drivers wheel well and hold the huge rubber boot upwards while doing it . If you can do a steering rack in a driveway you can do a tranny and motor pull . Lol lol

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

I did one in the middle of winter once, outside, with a big light. Other times had to lower the cradle to get at other things. Hardest part for me was getting the lines cracked loose from the rack.

Worst part for me was the fact that the brake lines cross over under the cradle and they have to be unfastened to lower it. If they're at all marginal then they probably won't make it through the process, don't be surprised if they leak and have to be replaced by the time the job is done.

Being in AL might save you here, rather than being up north. But something to keep in mind regardless.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans