Thread: Coil pack type 88 2.8/ broken lug stud issues

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

Default Coil pack type 88 2.8/ broken lug stud issues

For some reason, I assume my lug nuts were loose on my passenger front wheel, 4 of 5 of my studs broke off. I ordered some from Rockauto. I am running the alumium wheels from the yard off a 96 cutlass on my 88 cutlass cruiser. Half the threads in the lug nuts do not enguage the stud. I checked the 88 against the 96 and the same part number is called for, 41.5 mm length and 12.73 knurl. Also after installing two of the studs spun on tightening but seem close to the 75-85 torque I was shooting for. Any advice on longer studs or does the forum feel the 1/2 engaugement I am getting is ok and I just left them untorqued. No trouble from the drivers side. When I completed this and cranked her up I have a skip. Are the 1988 2.8 coil packs the units with two outputs? They are like 10 bucks. Anyone know an ohm value off the cuff? I was starting with ignition. I guess I could use a timing light to check for a dead wire/coil. Thanks

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

As for your lug studs, you need to do one of 2 things..

1) Make sure your lug studs are drawn into the hub completely, if they are not, you will wind up with loose lugs, and a wheel that can potentially fall off.
    2) Need to replace the hub, with bearing. Once the stud spins in the hub, its not holding it correctly.

Not sure on the OHMS for the Coil Pack. I usually just replace them from a newer vehicle. They used that style from 1987, all the way until 2009, on various engines from the 2.2 all the way up to the 8.1.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

IIRC all my coil packs measure around 5.5k ohms between the posts. I've got one on my Celeb that measures like 9k and it still works great, but it's an outlier and probably on its way out.

Spark plug wires I see specs for anything from 500 ohms to 12000 ohms per foot. Basically I figure if you get no reading then the wire is dead, which I've had before.

I've never replaced studs, but never had a broken one either. You should press the studs out smoothly with a proper tool supporting the flange. If you beat on the bearing to get the studs out without supporting the flange it can't be any good for it.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

Tlc I'm curious as to how far the studs enter the lugnut on the snowflake wheels. Am I thi king correct that the coil packs that are three individual units and the combined unit will interchange bolt up without modification?

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

They do interchange without modification, Correct
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

The general rule of thumb is, you want at least as much thread engagement as the diameter of the stud. So with a 12mm stud, you want at least 12mm thread engagement.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

I think the cheapest part for our cars is the l67 coils 3.7 supercharged engine from 1997-2004 they are the same coil but hotter coil helped my 95 3100 smooth out and little more step on acceleration . Wouldn?t call it a performance thing but does nicely from 1500-5500 rpm