Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at springs again

Vehicle
    Multiple Alfa Romeos

Why not purchase a tool from O'Reilly's that will compress the spring as an alternative to cutting off a coil? Just shooting around in the dark here...

I ended up with one coil cut off the front springs, which worked great (could probably even do another coil without it getting ridiculous) and I'm right now attempting to put clamps on the rear springs, but I am not happy. I don't feel it's going well and I have to take up so much bloody space in these crazy variable-rate springs. I realise compressing springs takes a lot of force but that's exactly the problem... if everything was going smoothly and lining up nicely it would be one thing but I'm not happy with how it's going. Gonna back out of it for now and re-evaluate what to do.

Also- is the rear of a Century really held on by the shocks alone, as it appears (and the lateral bar)?

Does that mean that if I get custom springs that have a uninstalled height of less than 12.2" (the current space at full extension) I can accomodate them safely by finding shocks that are shorter in length than the OEM size shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by jinxtigr View Post
    Also- is the rear of a Century really held on by the shocks alone, as it appears (and the lateral bar)?

Does that mean that if I get custom springs that have a uninstalled height of less than 12.2" (the current space at full extension) I can accomodate them safely by finding shocks that are shorter in length than the OEM size shocks?
    Correct on all accounts

I need (well, should) to find shorter rear shocks for my coupe too.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Quote Originally Posted by SCREECH View Post
    Ochy - I gotta jump in here as I'm just installing a USED set of Eibach springs onto some struts for my International and would like the ability to get new springs if I ever need to - they made you a set of A-body front lowering springs, and stiffer than stock, for $170 for the pair? I'd say that's not bad. Even a set of four shouldn't be more than $340, possibly less if you buy a whole set of four, no? I think that takes care of the no-more-Eibach-springs problem, no?
    if you are interested, I had a run of 25 sets of the original Eibach lowering springs made by Eibach, i have a few sets left, they are $350 + shipping. Brand New:

the video unveiling:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjR5IPVGokw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12