Thread: Instrument panel fuse blowing instantly

Vehicle
    1986 Pontiac 6000, 1997 Ford Aerostar

Default Instrument panel fuse blowing instantly

1986 Pontiac 6000le with digital dash. As soon as the ignition is turned on the fuse pops. It's a 10 amp fuse but will blow 20s (which is where I stopped going up). Is there a likely place where it's shorting?

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

I personally don't know of one, and have no experience with the Pontiac dash. Is there anything else that is powered by the same circuit that could be the culprit? That will take a schematic. Wouldn't want to blame the dash without checking.
    However, unless someone knows of a specific issue, I would remove the instrument cluster (I have a feeling this may be more difficult on the Pontiac than some other A-Bodies) and inspect it for damage. You then could reinstall the fuse and turn the car on. If the fuse doesn't blow, you know that your wiring to the instrument cluster is most likely good. If the fuse continues to blow, you would need to look for chafed wiring.
    I'm sure there are places that could service and old digital cluster, but I don't have any knowledge of them either.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Go behind your ashtray, and unplug the cigarette lighter. Go into your fuse panel, and pull the circuit breaker for the rear window defrost, and report back.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle

I disconnected the cigarette lighter and pulled the breaker; no change. I will try disconnecting the cluster this weekend

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

I have a hunch , the dimmer switch is fried that?s a key on function that supplies 12 bolts to the dash /cluster controls . Try turning the dimmer switch to the lowest setting see if it doesn?t blow . I bet you have a Crusty wire off the switch since by age I replaced my Buick century dimmer switch Cause that popped all my bulbs In the cluster .

Vehicle

Turned the dimmer all the way down. It still blew.
    Thanks to everyone who posted so far. I'll be taking the dash partially apart. The radio (which is on a different circuit) intermittently works so I believe there are multiple bad connections hidden underneath the dashboard

Vehicle

I removed the gauge cluster as well as the fan relay. Made no difference.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Just for giggles on my 95 I had a issue with the fusable links off the starter they do supply the key on functions as well . They should be 3-5 off the starter Solenoid switch . Also there is a three connector harness off the positive terminal but they supplies power window ,locks , headlights basically non key functions direct battery . But the head light on off switch comes off the main positive terminal such as brake lights when applied with no key in the ignition . So even tho the dimmer switch can be all the way down there is still a surge Or direct 12 cops so if a bad wire coming from either the starter fusible links or near the positive terminal harness they is heating up and popping the fuse