Thread: 4t60 first speed only no 1-2 3shift

Vehicle
    chevrolet celebrity 88`

Default 4t60 first speed only no 1-2 3shift

Hello. I have a 1988 cevrolet celebrity 2.8.1 automatic transmission 4t60. after a complete repair, I did not have front speed. I found the reason. 1-2 servo assembly piston seal was broken. after repair, there was a forward movement in all d1 d2 d3 d4 though only at the first speed. does not switch from the first to 2 and 3-4

I?m not sure if this will help, but one time my speed sensor on my 96 olds wagon was unplugged, and it wouldn?t shift out of first.

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Quote Originally Posted by 96OldsWagon View Post
    I?m not sure if this will help, but one time my speed sensor on my 96 olds wagon was unplugged, and it wouldn?t shift out of first.
    The 88 models did not have a speed wire that integrated with the computer, that didnt happen until 92 or 93.

Glacier, I would suggest manually shifting it into 2nd using the gear shift when you get to 10-15 miles per hour. If it shifts, it more than likely is the detent cable attached to the throttle body. If it doesnt shift, I dont know.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac6ksteawd View Post
    The 88 models did not have a speed wire that integrated with the computer, that didnt happen until 92 or 93.

Glacier, I would suggest manually shifting it into 2nd using the gear shift when you get to 10-15 miles per hour. If it shifts, it more than likely is the detent cable attached to the throttle body. If it doesnt shift, I dont know.
    That?s a good way to narrow down the problem. I had an 86 Celebrity 4 speed and the TV cable broke. It would do the opposite, it would cycle through the gears and get to 4th very quickly so you had to manually shift it if you wanted any normal acceleration. On the other hand since it wouldn?t downshift with throttle, once I got up to speed I could floor it in high gear and bury the speedometer pretty easily. And the car didn?t have that much power to begin with. I did this on desolate back roads back in the 90s.