Thread: Need help opening hood

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

Default Need help opening hood

1988 cutlass cruiser hood cable is trashed. I ran a piece of romex to the latch and was pulling it from under and it was working fine. My parts came in, fan switch, temp sender, harnesses for both switches. Got the correct front brake shoes, rotors, inner and outer tie rods plus struts. Can't get the dang hood open. Romex feels like it is still pulling the latch but with extra man bumping and prising not popping loose. Any ideas? If I must I will cut an access hole. I have a better hood this one is pretty ratty.

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

I believe on the cruiser you can take the grill out without the hood opened. If so, you can pull the grill out, and reach in and push over the popper thing.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac6ksteawd View Post
    I believe on the cruiser you can take the grill out without the hood opened. If so, you can pull the grill out, and reach in and push over the popper thing.
    Yes if it?s the same as the 89 you can. Mine had a broken hood cable when I got it and the grille was in the backseat.

The 6000 was another story....

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

I have done this to many that have broke I just taken the cable that broken let it tangle or tuck it under the bumper so u can reach down and gently pull and open the hood from the outside till u get the replacement

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    I have done this to many that have broke I just taken the cable that broken let it tangle or tuck it under the bumper so u can reach down and gently pull and open the hood from the outside till u get the replacement
    I?ve never tried letting it dangle beneath. I?ve just left the grille out and pulled on the stub of cable to open the hood. Sometimes tied the cable end around a large flat washer or whatever to make it easier to grab.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

My 95 Buick century had the cable come through the drivers side plastic dust shield through fender well with a crimp and nut on the end as a temp fix cause I was Broke and I was lazy to get one so I improvised . Get out of car walk to the drivers side wheel well pull on the nut presto hood pops up away I went . . Old bike brake cable works good too have to be unique in ways . But now it?s all fixed so I can open it from the interior but if memory serves me it stayed like that for 8 months since I changed my own oil and never goes to a shop worked for me

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

I did get it open. My romex was still attached well, i just was not pulling hard enough. I am still struggling to get my cooling fan running with temp sensor. The radiator is plastic side tank and the fan switch installed is 1/4 thread. The TS 147 fan switch is 3/8 thread. I am frustrated by this project but I guess my best option is to install one of the alumium access fittings in the lower hose. First I am going to unground the fan, plug in the ts147 into the wire and heat gun it while running to see if my fan will engauge. If so, I will know that this is my problem. If anyone has the wiring schematic for the 1988 cruiser and they can share it would be appreciated. I will have to drill the fitting out to 3/8. Link to the glowshift clone.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018FY0Z84..._o94FEbGJ5WPRT

"I did get it open. My romex was still attached well, i just was not pulling hard enough."
    Man, that seems like a drag.