Thread: Oldsmobile Ciera 3.1L Belt Size To Bypass AC

Vehicle
    1996 Olds Ciera, 1984 Chevy Celebrity 2.8L Carbed (RIP)

Question Oldsmobile Ciera 3.1L Belt Size To Bypass AC

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew the belt size to use if I wanted to not include the AC compressor in the serpentine belt loop?

I have a pulley that's making a grinding noise. I can't figure out if it was the water pump or the AC compressor below it. I tried spraying each with PB Blaster to see if it quieted it down but it didn't really make a difference when sprayed on either of them. (Though the sound is definitely coming from one of them). I figure the water pump and belt are original to the car so I might as well swap them out (pump is cheap) to see if that fixes the problem.

If it doesn't and it is the AC compressor that's where I've run into a bit of a snag. The AC doesn't work in the car (hasn't in 6+ years) so it doesn't make sense to buy a new compressor and I didn't see a belt on rock auto that was for a no AC option. I did see that they have an AC bypass pulley I could bolt on but that would require taking out the current compressor and leaving the tubing exposed to the elements which would potentially make it more expensive down the road if I did decide to fix the AC in the car.

Thanks in advance.
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera : 1989 Ford Crown Victoria : 1978 Ford LTD
    RIP 1984 Chevrolet Celebrity : 1991 Grand Marquis

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Honesty my friend you could just buy the bypass pulley to delete the ac it bolts to the original location . They make that a rubber belt that snaps in and you can get a measurement and then go to the parts stor e and fine what size u need . The belt tentioner has to have enough tension or the belt will fly off . The bypass pulley for the ac is the best option . Or junk yard fine a trashed ac that the pulley is good and disconnect the lines and take it all out and still keep the ac pulley going that?s up to you

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Unfortunately, I don't know of a no A/C belt option for the 3100 by '96. The wrap of the belt (to keep the water pump turning the correct direction) is integral to going around the A/C compressor. I had not seen a way to do it looking at ours, unlike the older 3300 that has the diagram under the hood for both.
    There is a phenomenon with the V5 compressor (more than others) with metal particles causing a chirp between the clutch and the drive plate. Yours has been inop for so long I wouldn't think it would just start at this point though.
    Jerry

Vehicle

U can bungee the ac outta the way and still use the ac by pass might be a little tight with the oil filter there but it?s small compressor u should be able to . I had done that on the 1995 grand am 3100 same engine and design for the ac it was little more cramp with the compressor bungees over to the right and adapter by pass on but the ac pulled locked and froze and the belts jumped and burnt up on my old gf car . That?s how I kept it for a few months during winter time and could fix the ac

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

The routing IS NOT dependent on the AC pulley at all. Cars made with the AC delete belt routing is below. Not sure about the belt sizing, I can find threads where its talked about, but no one specifically says what the size is.

(Edit: Wrong picture posted, and I cant find the right one)
    Last edited by Pontiac6ksteawd; 09-23-2020 at 05:25 PM.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

Vehicle
    1996 Olds Ciera, 1984 Chevy Celebrity 2.8L Carbed (RIP)

Thanks everyone for the replies.
    I think I'll go with the AC delete pulley and try to "weather proof" any connections to it as best I can for now.

I didn't even think about the water pump spinning in the wrong direction if there was no AC pulley present, but yep.. that looks like it would be the case as there would be no way to properly route the belt to go under the water pump pulley, just over it.

My accessories are in a different order than the image above for the AC delete. This is my belt routing:
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera : 1989 Ford Crown Victoria : 1978 Ford LTD
    RIP 1984 Chevrolet Celebrity : 1991 Grand Marquis

Vehicle

Same as my 95 L82 3100