Thread: 89 6000 LE Stalling

Default 89 6000 LE Stalling

Picked up an 89 6000 LE 2.8 recently with 55k, has issues running and shuts off after awhile. Does not start right away again generally until it cools down a bit.

Previous owner threw some misc. odds and ends at it in hopes to get it running, fuel pump supposedly.

While it was previously running it ran a little wonky and the oil pressure fluctuated as it idled.

I know a tuneup is in order but haven't really had a chance to look into it yet as I'm waiting for a battery from costco, but just looking for tips and places where to start. Thanks!

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

The list can be long man ... ignition control modular getting to hot and causing it to shut down , crank positioned sensor gets to hot and causes a no start , it?s a electrical sensor due to getting to hot . Also a bad battery / a bad alternator is not supply the amps needed to keep the car running the 10-12 volts. That?s only a few little things the fuel pressure regulator is getting weak causing it to vapor lock or the spring inside is sticking causing no fuel coming up to the fuel rail , yes she?s a low milage car but the rest is still by age where the environment can?t cause issues . I?d say start with a tune up and go from there we are here to help for sure .

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

The very first place I would start is fuel injectors. I would bet at least 2-3 of them are bad, if not more. Need to get them ohmed out, and report back.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

My experience has almost always been the crank sensor or ignition module. If it runs fine then shuts off like a switch. And won?t even attempt to fire until it cools off.

I?ve been lucky when it comes to fuel injectors thankfully but I know others have had issues.

Thanks for the tips guys! The guy had changed the ignition control module, that I do know. I'll look into the other ignition stuff and injectors.

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Heat makes failing injectors worse too. Some will even develop a short until they cool off.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Quote Originally Posted by CorvairGeek View Post
    Heat makes failing injectors worse too. Some will even develop a short until they cool off.
    And on these, when one injector shorts, it takes out all 3 in the bank.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

New battery in, fuel filter is leaking bad so waiting on one. Inspecting plugs the wires broke apart so I'm putting new plugs, wires, and coils. After that I'll take a look into the injectors, thanks guys!