Thread: Celebrity 2.8 running rich

Default Celebrity 2.8 running rich

Alright so I recently bought a basket case 87 Celebrity Eurosport wagon. Car is in super rough shape but I?m trying to put it on the road to take some of the miles for my Century. The car idles fine, has new injectors. But it blows black smoke and has absolutely no power when driving. It also stalls coming to a stop from speed even in neutral. When I unplug the MAF there is no change in engine running and no CEL on at all. I?m looking at MAF and coolant temp sensors, also going to try to borrow a friend?a ?Brick? scanner to look at the data. Car revs at idle just fine and has no major vacuum leaks that I can find. Any suggestions or tips are highly appreciated!

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Couple things.. MAP, O2, and FPR. All 3 of those can cause the problems you are having. Black smoke is usually indicative of fuel (blue is oil, white is water). Pull your dipstick out, and smell it. Do you smell fuel? If you do, STOP DRIVING IT. You can destroy the engine as fuel breaks down the oil, and can no longer provide the bearings and rings with the lubrication the require.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

The FPR is good, no fuel coming out Of it and the vacuum lines are good going to it. Just changed the Injectors because the car sat for a few years and figured i?d go ahead and replace them. Oil smells slightly like gas. I know not to drive it till the oil is clean. But till I get it to not dump fuel it?s not worth wasting oil

Vehicle

I know you just got new injectors, but did you happen to OHM them before installing them?
    Brian - Carpe Diem

More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history

No, they were brand new, flow matched injectors. Not remans. If I unplug the MAF while it?s running it should cause an audible change in how it runs, right? Because it doesn?t. And how would I ohm the injectors? Not well versed with electronics.

Vehicle

I think this is on a Ford, and you can do it with the Injectors still in the engine, you just have to take the upper plenum off..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVXc...ature=emb_logo

You are looking for a OHM of 12.5 to 13.5. Much out of that range is not generally good.

On your MAF question, I dont know to be honest. It can cause all types of drivability problems. Been so long since I had to deal with a MAF that these cars have, 13 years I think...

I forgot to ask, have you checked for codes in the computer? Does your check engine light work?
    Brian - Carpe Diem

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

I have no experience with a MAF but my first guess is coolant temperature sensor. I?ve had them make the car run horrible if at all. I?ve had many oxygen sensors go bad and it always just set a code and kept running pretty good actually. Richer than normal and the exhaust stunk but nowhere to blowing black smoke.

Definitely get all the obvious stuff fixed first, check plugs and wires and ohm across coils.