Thread: Jerking Transmission at Cruise Speed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Special Sedan 3.1L

Default Jerking Transmission at Cruise Speed

Hey guys, I've been having an intermittent issue with the transmission doing this odd jerking/slipping thing when I either drive over large bumps, encounter a hill, or just engage TC lockup sometimes.

It feels like the torque converter might be losing grip when in lockup mode, which would cause it to slip and jerk, but I remember one time I shifted to third manually and it continued, so I thought I could rule that out. My '96 has about 135k on it right now. Anyone encounter this before?

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

I had a similar issue on a 6000 with a 2.8 4 speed. It was just low on tranny oil. Going over bumps, or transitions, would create a sloshing effect in the tranny, and the pump would suck air.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

My 92 Trans Sport with 4T60E would do something like that. Sometimes the torque converter would shudder on engagement, other times it would disengage and throw a code. I checked the solenoids via the connector and they seemed weak so I bought new ones. All day job to get in there, solenoids were fine but the harness connections were loose. So I tightened them up and of course replaced solenoids anyway. Took care of the problem for awhile.

So anyway with any luck maybe your outside trans connector is loose. I would clean and see if you can tighten the prongs.

Another thing that happened was I lost half the shift solenoids. Plus a bunch of other stuff in the van. Got a quad driver code. Turned out to be a bad ignition switch, tons of stuff even higher powered accessories passes through that switch. Yet it?s the exact same switch since the 60s or 70s when cars were pretty barebones.

Fluid and filter change (not a flush) can?t hurt either if it?s not been done for a long time.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Special Sedan 3.1L

Wow thanks for the input guys.

Can you tell me where the outside harness is located? I changed the fluid in summer 2019 replacing with Dex VI, and I changed the filter too. Messyyyy!!!

I've been keeping an eye on the fluid and keeping it full. I'm terribly afraid to overfill tho.

I've had the car for 6 years now and don't wanna get rid of it. Runs and drives great still with 135k miles.

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

The connector should be on the front of the transmission, near the top.

The harness is inside the transmission side pan. A lot of work to remove. Hopefully the outside connector offers some improvement.