Thread: Fuel gauge question

Vehicle
    1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon 2.8L V6

Default Fuel gauge question

I replaced the sending unit and fuel pump in this car since the old one was rusted out from sitting years. The gauge works but is super sensitive. My driveway is mostly level and it will show 1/3 tank of gas. I start going down the road and it will show 1/2 tank or more depending on the road/incline.

Is it normal for these older cars to have super sensitive floats on the sending units? I never know how much gas I truly have because the gauge varies based on where I am.

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Yes that sounds about normal. Changes depending on acceleration and deceleration and what slope it?s sitting. And it seems every car is a little bit different too. One of my 6000s was basically empty at 1/8 tank, almost ran out many times. Another 6000 it seemed to go forever on E. My Celebrity takes about 13 gallons at E. You?ll get used to yours.

One tip. If you?re very low on gas don?t park it nose down unless you can coast it to level.

Vehicle
    1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon 2.8L V6

Ok I figured that?s what it was. This is my first old car (it?s a year younger than me) so I?m finding all kinds of stuff that just isn?t as refined as newer ones lol